Saturday, January 15, 2011

Slovak Specialties - Bratislavský Meštiansky Pivovar s.r.o.

I was in Bratislava from Sunday to Tuesday with work and I couldn't have picked a worse time to go. I had a horrible cold so I was a delight to be around.

On the Monday I was feeling a bit better so after work I went to a restaurant, The Burgess Brewery, that brews its own beer and serves traditional Slovak fare. I can't say that I dabbled too deeply in the food. I ate some Wurst and California style Pork ribs but I had two glasses of their brew which definitely went down a treat.


The first beer, Bratislavský ležiak 12° Lager beer was a golden crowd pleaser. At 6% you can't exactly knock it back but its very pleasureable to drink just like other Czech / Slovak offerings such as Topvar, Budvar and Zlaty Bazant. I can't describe the smell as I couldn't breathe through my nose, but the flavour was bitter and mildly hoppy. There was a curious sweetness in the aftertaste.
The second offering was a huge surprise. As a "dark beer" I had assumed that this would be a heavy dry beer and I decided only to get a half pint which I will regret for quite a long time! Sessler 11,5° Black beer arrives with a beautiful white head in contrast to the black body. It looks like Guinness but tastes like a slightly fruity and sweet mix of Murphys and Leffe Brune. I would happily drink several of these and It would probably go very well with food, my recommendation being mussles with fries!

Overall a fantastic experience that cheered me up no end!

No comments:

Post a Comment