Saturday, January 1, 2011

New years day dinner

First dinner of the year down! Had the pleasure of cooking the roast beef for LAK and the gang. She did the roasted spuds and the veg and they were perfect! Roasties were creamy and the veg were tender.
I got the meat from tesco, a 1.5kg piece of rib eye beef withe the ribs still attached. Not a lot of fat on the piece either.I stayed very simple and traditional with the preparation.
The night before I made a rub with olive oil, rock salt, freshly ground black pepper, mixed herbs, some crushed beef stock and a hint of vinegar. I mixed them in a cup, left them to sit for 30 mins, stirring occasionally. While this was sitting I pierced the meat with a long knife to open up channels in it and then rubbed in the mixture. I put the beef back into the bag and tied it close. Every couple of hours I turned the bag upside down so the mixture didnt collect at the bottom and covered the beef entirely.

The next day I sat the beef out for about an hour before I put it into a pre-heated oven. In the base of the tray I put in a small amount of finely chopped onion, with a cut up stock cube, some olive oil and a few pieces of garlic butter. I also added about 100ml of water to keep the beef moist and make a mix.
The recipe I had advised putting the beef in for 15 mins @ 200F then 15 mins per 0.5kg @ 180F and an extra 30 mins for medium to well done. Over that time we turned the meat to make sure it was done evenly.
Once we had cooked the meat through we let it sit out (covered in tin foil) for 30 mins. As the beef sat out I collected the juices to make the gravy.

The LAK parboiled the potatoes first and cut them up so that the edges would crisp nicely. Then she put them in the roasting dish and covered them garlic butter, cream, salt and pepper and let them do for about 45 mins. The vegetables were done simply. She parboiled (my new word for the day) the brocolli and carrots first, then put them into the roasting dish with mixed herbs, peppers onion and olive oil and left them for about 30 mins.

The meal turned out fantastic and was low stress in the preparation. Some red wine might have accompanied well but overall, very happy!

1 comment:

  1. So bloody nice that you waited until the thing was nearly devoured before you took some photos!! Lol! Ya savage!

    ReplyDelete